Literary Residencies Košice invite writers and translators of literature to apply to their Open Call for a one-month residency in Košice to take place in winter 2023/2024.
𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬: 𝟏𝟔 𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑
The selected applicant will be contacted by email. Results will subsequently be posted on our social media. Expected date of the announcement: 26.11.2023
The residency will take place in winter 2023/2024, on the basis of agreement with the selected candidate, but ideally in December 2023.
About the Residency
~ Duration of the residency: 4 weeks
~ Number of selected applicants: 1
~ Place of residency: Košice, Slovakia
~ Residency dates: winter 2023/2024, ideally December 2023
~ Focus of the residency: we support the creation of literary works, understood in the broadest sense (poetry, prose, literary essays, long-form journalism, experimental work, literary translation, theoretical reflections of literature, etc.)
~ The residency provides: accommodation in Košice, travel reimbursement (up to 130 EUR), a stipend to cover living expenses in Košice 600 EUR/month, free admission to Kino Úsmev cinema (within walking distance from the residency apartment). Health and travel insurance are not included.
~ Work on a current writing project (does not need to be completed during residency)
~ One public presentation (public reading, masterclass, interview, text, etc.)
~ Email your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject heading „Open Call Winter 2023 – Residency in KE“;
~ Please attach to the email as one pdf document the following information (in English, Slovak or Czech):
1) Your contact details: name; email; phone; current place of residence from which you would be traveling to the residency.
2) Dates in winter 2023/2024 you are able to attend the residency and dates you are definitely not available.
3) A concise description of the project you want to work on during the residency (ideally max. 3 paragraphs).
4) A short professional bio (ideally 1-2 paragraphs), noting your publications and/or other relevant work.
5) An excerpt from the work you wish to focus on during the residency or a related completed work (approx. three A4 pages). Please include the excerpt with your application in the single pdf file. If the nature of the work does not allow it, you can send the excerpt separately or as a link (if the link will have a time limit for downloading, set it to be active at least until the end of 2023). If the text is in a language other than English, Slovak or Czech and you are able to provide a translation into either of these languages, please do so, it will help in the evaluation of your application.
~ Writers of any nationality, age, and at any stage of their career are invited to apply. LRK seek to provide an informal, supportive and inclusive environment for their residents.
~ One literary project will be selected from the applications received by a selection committee comprising members of the LRK programme team and an invited external expert (writer or literary professional). The main selection criteria are the quality of the literary work and of the project, and the potential of the residency stay to benefit and further the work. The selection committee will also take into account the potential relevance of the work/project for the local context, but this is not essential.
Literary Residencies Košice is a residency programme for authors who work on their literary works or literary translation. The programme is the result of the cooperation between the Košice Minority Club and the Kino Úsmev cinema.
Literary Residencies Košice programme and the upcoming residency are supported by the Slovak Arts Council using public funding.